ND: Early Childhood Development (SAQA ID: 64650) – NQF Level 5: 263 Credits
This programme consists of SEVEN MODULES, which are as follows and will be covered over a period of 1 year.
- DEVELOP AND MANAGE THE ECD LEARNING PROGRAMME
- MEDIATE ACTIVE LEARNING IN ECD PROGRAMMES
- PROMOTE HEALTHY DEVELOPMENT IN ECD PROGRAMMES
- COMMUNICATION SKILLS
- FACILITATE A LEARNING PROGRAMME IN THE RECEPTION YEAR
- MANAGEMENT OF EARLY CHILDHOOD DEVELOPMENT
- GUIDE AND SUPPORT IN AN ECD ENVIRONMENT
Fundamental unit standards : 35 credits
Core unit standards : 72 credits
Elective unit standards : 153 credits
Potential learners/educators who have acquired an FETC (Grade 12) or equivalent qualification at Level 4 (120 credits) and who wish to make ECD their full-time career (entry point);This qualification provides a substantial qualification for:
Learners/educators who have a Level 4 qualification in ECD to further their career and professional development in ECD by providing access to a Level 6 qualification;
Learners/educators who have a Higher Certificate in ECD to further their career and professional development in ECD by providing access to a Level 6 qualification.
The purpose of the qualification is to:
Provide access to a recognised educator qualification at Level 6 for ECD educators who have a Level 4 or Level 5 certificate in ECD, providing a bridge between non-formal and formal learning programmes.
To enable educators/ learners to plan and implement a learning programme which is based on their knowledge of child development from birth to nine years and which helps children in a specific phase work towards achieving the learning outcomes of the national school curriculum (where appropriate).
To improve community-based ECD services for young children by raising the level of ECD teaching competence and/or by providing opportunities for training in support and leadership roles.
EXIT LEVEL OUTCOMES
- Mediate active learning in an integrated and holistic learning programme.
- Facilitate learning and development of children with barriers to learning and other special needs, including those coping with abuse and violence, within an inclusive anti-bias approach.
- Promote the safety and healthy development of each child.
- Work with colleagues, families and community systems to develop each child`s potential as fully as possible.
- Manage a well-planned and organised learning programme to meet the needs of individual children within the framework of the national school curriculum (where appropriate).
- Select and use appropriate methods and procedures for assessing children`s progress and reporting on this to parents.
- Promote the development of high quality ECD programmes and services.
- Communicate effectively for the purposes of academic study and professional practice.
- Plan and implement appropriate learning activities and materials or management practices based on knowledge of the principles, processes and content of the chosen specialisation.
- Modules 21
- Quizzes 0
- Students 0
- Assessments Yes
ND ECD L5 - SP1: Develop and manage the ECD Learning Programme
ND ECD L5 - SP2: Mediate active learning in ECD programmes
ND ECD L5 - SP3: Promote Healthy Development in ECD Programmes
ND ECD L5 - SP4: Communication Skills
ND ECD L5 - SP5: Facilitate a Learning Programme in the reception year
ND ECD L5 - SP6: Management of Early Childhood Development
ND ECD L5 - SP7: Guide and Support in an ECD Environment